Thursday 22 May 2008

SO UNHEALTHY!!!


I got another letter from my doctor yesterday, now I am getting a bit worried!

I had the repeat blood tests as requested on Monday, Thursday the Doc sends me an appointment for 4/6/08 requesting it as non urgent so it cant be immenently life threatening I suppose.

But it isnt stopping me from worrying.


I woke up just after 6am yesterday to find a text on my mobile from my mother, asking if I could ring her when I woke up, now a few things crossed my mind, the first being that she was unwell and needed me to take her to the doctors, the other was my Dad had been taken ill, what I was not prepared for was that my 36 year old brother had been taken into hospital (MAU, my ward) with a suspected heart attack!

Well he is a heavy smoker and a heavy drinker, but 36 is still very young!


I immediately rang my ward and spoke to a collegue who assured me he was just dandy and they were doing tests, and he would be seen by a senior consultant that morning.

I asked to speak to him and he sounded his usual self, if a little worried, he then asked where he could go for a smoke, so I directed him to a spot where he was unlikely to get bollocked, then realised what the fuck I had done!! Here was my baby brother with a suspected heart attack and I was telling him where to go for a ciggie!!! Sometimes I am so blonde!


To be honest I really cant see him giving up but you never know once faced with a scare like that!


I am trying to give up drinking so much myself but am failing miserably, it's the stress of living with that twat, as I have never drunk so much since I have been with him!



2 comments:

Laura Jane Williams said...

It's that tricky situation where you know something is bad for him, and yet he deserves a bit of pleasure after hvaing such a horrible time... you can't win!

Eddie 2-Sox said...

There's something to be said for allowing lose relatives something they really enjoy, if the end is in sight.

For me, that meant that my Dad drank two beers every day, not one. And ate some things he wasn't meant to. And THAT made his last months much more enjoyable.

But for your brother, who is 36?, you need to give him some Tough Love and make things clear to him. If he dies, he's dead. He doesn't get a second chance. Does he understand that?

If you value your brother, get tough with him, as harsh as it may seem.....