Monday 4 February 2008

Nightshift from hell!!


well I have just surfaced from about 3 hours sleep from an awful nightshift.
I work in a busy admissions unit and there is never a dull moment.
I did not realise the impotance of our hospital porters, I guess I always just saw them as bed pushing chappies and the guys who brings us extra bed linen when we run out! God how wrong am I?

If we have any aggressive or violent patients, they are our first call for help and last night it took 3 porters and 3 nurses to restrain this chap who was quite unwell with alcohol withdrawal.
One minute he was fine and we were having a sensible conversation, the next minute he had attacked a female collegue and pinned her to the bed and straddled her!

I tried to pull him off but to no avail and no amount of coaxing would talk him down. I rang the emergency bell and other female staff came to our aid, but we could not contain him from punching and kicking out at us, so 3 burly porters came to our rescue, he spat in the face of one of the porters and was using such abusive foul language it was enough to make one blush!

This went on for about 2 hours as no safe amount of sedation would calm him. He pulled his venflon out and blood sputed everywhere, all over those trying to restrain him. Eventually though he did calm down and slip into a troubled sleep.

I think the porters did a marvelous job to protect us nursing staff, and I think its about time that there was extra funding from the government for 24 hour security in our hospitals, these guys dont get paid enough to put themselves in these volatile situations!

So thanks again guys, for all you do!

No comments: